With the holidays quickly approaching, what better way to kick off the season than with the perfect hot chocolate bombs! I’m sure by now you have seen these hot chocolate bombs trending all over social media. These trending treats have sure taken the market by storm.
With treat makers jumping on the chance to make an extra buck or two everyone is currently trying to figure out how to make these treats.
Are you currently having trouble recreating these treats yourself? Not having any luck getting them to stay together? No need to worry we have you covered!
In this post, we will be walking you through the entire process so that you can make the perfect hot chocolate bombs this season.
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs are actually a very simple yet efficient way to make the perfect cup of hot chocolate. These trending treats can be customized into different flavors of chocolate.
The standard hot chocolate bombs consist of the following ingredients:
- Milk chocolate
- Hot cocoa mix
- Sprinkles (optional)
Sounds like the perfect cup of hot chocolate, doesn’t it? So what’s so special about these? What makes these treats special is not necessarily the ingredients but it’s how they are put together.
The cocoa mix and marshmallows are placed into a chocolate ball that explodes releasing the ingredients when added to a cup of hot water or hot milk. These “bombs” burst open exposing the ingredients that can then be easily mixed for the perfect cup of hot chocolate.
Check out the video below that shows these treats in action:
As you can see these treats are to die for! Ready to start making your own? Below I have taken the time to put together a step by step tutorial on how to make the perfect hot chocolate bombs.
How to make the Hot Chocolate Bombs (The Right Way)!
Before you can begin there are a few items you will need to obtain. These items will help you in making the perfect treats. Below is a list of items that you will need:
- Round silicone mold
- Melting chocolate (Any flavor)
- Hot cocoa mix (Any flavor)
- Either dehydrated marshmallows or the regular mini marshmallows
- Sprinkles (Optional)
- A small plate that can be warmed
- Small piping bag or a sandwich bag
- Start by melting your chocolate in the microwave using 30-second intervals. Be sure that you place your chocolate in a microwavable safe bowl.
- Stir in between intervals until the chocolate is fully melted. Be careful not to overheat your chocolate. You only want the chocolate to become fully melted.
- Put one to two teaspoons of chocolate into each section of the mold.
- Thoroughly coat the mold with the back of the teaspoon and ensure that you coat the top edges of the mold very well!
- If the top edges of the mold are not thoroughly covered then it will cause the hot chocolate bomb to crack once removed from the mold!
- You do not want the chocolate to pool into the bottom of the mold. You only want to coat the mold. If you have any chocolate that pools into the bottom of the mold simply dump that back into the bowl.
- Place the coated mold into the freezer for 5mins or until the chocolate has fully set. There should not be any sign of melted chocolate. At this point, all the chocolate should be hard.
- Repeat the steps above a second time. For the best results, it is highly recommended that you do two coats. This helps prevent cracking and breaking.
For step two please proceed to the next page.
In this step I will be showing you how to assemble these hot chocolate bombs.
- Start by heating up a microwavable safe plate in the microwave until the plate is hot enough to melt the chocolate. Roughly 3mins. The plate will be hot so make sure to use an oven mitt to remove the plate.
- While your plate is heating up in the microwave, start carefully popping out your chocolate bombs out of the mold.
- Once your plate has finished heating take one half of the chocolate bomb placing it flat side down onto the hot plate.
- Just long enough to meltdown and smooth out the jagged edges as this will help ensure a perfect seal of your chocolate bombs.
- The melted edges will act as the glue to seal up your bombs. Ensure that you perform the following steps quickly so that the edges do not harden up.
- After one half of the bomb has been smoothed out start filling that same half with your ingredients.
- 1-2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix
- Handful of marshmallows
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Repeat the steps above for melting the second half of the chocolate mold to smooth out the edges.
- Place the two chocolate halves together. Making sure the edges are completely sealed. If you did the steps above correctly both halves should easily seal up.
In the final step, I will be showing you how to decorate your hot chocolate bombs.
- At this point, if your previously melted chocolate has started to harden remelt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Be sure you follow the melting steps above only heating for 30sec intervals to ensure that you do not overheat your chocolate.
- Using either a small sandwich bag or a piping bag put your melted chocolate into the bag.
- If using a sandwich bag cut a very small snip into the corner of the bag. Make sure you only cut a very small amount
- Using the bag slightly squeeze the chocolate over the top of your hot chocolate bombs. Moving back and forth to create a “drizzle” design.
- While your drizzle is still wet you can add sprinkles, marshmallows, crushed peppermints, or any other type of ingredient which will give your hot chocolate bombs that extra pizazz!
- The melted drizzle will harden making your ingredients stick. Make sure the drizzle is still wet when you add the ingredients to it.
Congrats you have successfully made your very own hot chocolate bombs! To store these make sure you put them into an airtight container at room temperature. These bombs should last if properly stored for several weeks.
For more great tips on treat making be sure to check out our other treat making blog posts. Also, please take this time to check out our monogram shop as we have a huge selection of decals, keychains, ornaments, and more.